A Very Fine Man

We all remember Mister Roger's Neighborhood. Most of us grew up on it, and those that didn't have kids that did. Well, +Cracked.com has an article about his life, and moments proving that he was the Greatest American. (link)

In response to this article, one Cracked reader started a petition on +The White House website. The purpose? Let's make Fred Roger's birthday (March 20) a national holiday. I agree wholeheartedly.

Mister Rogers was..... Well.... He was Mister Rogers.

My parents fought a lot as a child. One time my father threw a gallon bucket of ice cream through a window. He then proceeded outside, reclaimed the bucket and - since it hadn't popped open - ate it. My mother once threw a phone and (supposedly on accident) hit him in the head. He once embedded a screwdriver in the wood at mom's feet. A friendly game of pelting each other with rubber bands became a day-long grudge match.... It's semi-funny now, but it was fairly typical of the adults in my childhood. At least no one wound up in the hospital.

Mister Rogers was the role model I needed at that time. He taught acceptance, love, and a love of learning. He was a kind, gentle man and my heart broke when he died a decade ago. My husband and I have both signed the petition. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Won't you sign it, too?

"I'm just so proud of all of you who have grown up with us, and I know how tough it is some days to look with hope and confidence on the months and years ahead. But I would like to tell you what I often told you when you were much younger: I like you just the way you are."  (From an interview conducted shortly before Fred Rogers' death, after more than three decades hosting and writing Mr Rogers' Neighborhood.)
 
Quote Source

Comments