Taxes Equal Theft?

+John Boehner (R-OH), House Speaker, says that raising taxes would be stealing from the American public.

Seriously? Yes. Seriously.

I would like to thank the distinguished gentleman from Ohio. I thank him for his considered opinion that the quarter of his salary my husband pays to the various governmental agencies is actually stolen from our family. I know that, as a lawmaker, he has the distinct awareness of the law that allows him to unequivocally state that this is the case. He would not, I am sure, engage in hyperbole in an attempt to inappropriately sway the public to his side of the argument over taxes. Now, I have yet to alert the police to this travesty of justice, but I am certain that - when I do - they will give it all the consideration that it deserves.

I imagine that they'll spend the next week snickering.

Sir, I say to Representative Boehner, the taxation of the American Public happens only with the consent of the people. We supposedly have adequate representation to assure that such things are discussed and considered carefully before being implemented. This is the American Way. We fought a war over the idea of having representation for this very purpose. You might have heard of it, since it gave you a job: The American Revolution.

Theft, by definition, is not consensual. We consent so that we can have emergency services, schools, safe roads, military defense and a judicial system to resolve our disagreements.

So, what do I say about those high income people that want to keep from being taxed in a more equitable manner? In a previous blog post, I discussed how much the taxes would take from these citizens. Let me point out something: I was not exaggerating when I said that my husband lost a quarter of his gross earnings to taxes - both state and federal. It's actually closer to twenty-seven percent. What percentage do the upper middle class and above lose after all of the loopholes have been applied?

What about those businesses that effectively pay 11 percent, as opposed to the 35 percent mandated corporate tax? I notice that, in spite of not paying their fair share of the bill, these companies still enjoy the standard protections - and a few extra. Should I have my family file as a corporation in order to lower my share? I wonder how stock in my household would do on the Dow Jones and the NASDAQ.

Corporations have the same rights and protections as an individual. This is the mechanism that allows them to bring cases to court. So why, Representative, do you - and your party - provide them with greater protection and consideration? Why do they matter more than the person that is looking for a job so that he can pay his fair share? Why do they matter more than the child that needs food, education, and a safe place to sleep? Especially when they do everything that they can to avoid paying for it?

Comments